It's been an interesting week around the Cope house. A houseguest, a sick baby, the demise of the hard drive of our computer, snow...
H's mom is here for the week. A very short week: she arrived on Sunday and leaves us on Friday. But it has been wonderful having her here. We've frequented the Christkindlmarkts around town (Christmas Markets), enjoying the Glüwein (mulled wine) of course. Each of our outings has been greeted with a picturesque snowfall, but not so much as to make our travels treacherous or unpleasant in any way. There's probably only an inch or so on the ground now and the roads are mostly clear with patches of slush. But there was enough yesterday that Martha built a snowman in the garten last night with the girls - complete with button eyes and a cucumber nose (I really need to get out and get some carrots for the reindeer this weekend!) Sadly, the rain overnight washed it away before I got a picture of it, but it was nearly as tall as Nina when it stood at its former glory.
H has the rest of the year off from work, so he and Martha are spending the day in Salzburg today ~ no doubt enjoying the Christkindlmarkt there (which made CNN's list of top 10 Christmas markets worldwide) and heading over to one of the many salt mines later today. I look forward to hearing all about it when they get home tonight. H took both cameras with him, so I expect he'll have some amazingly beautiful pictures when they return. (Salzburg, too, has had a gentle snowfall for several days and the forecast suggests it will continue throughout today as well.)
The computer died. So I'm doing my best to write this post on H's work laptop. Which probably doesn't sound like that big of a deal, but the keys are very different on this keyboard, and of course spellcheck is going berzerk with all the English words. At any rate, we're hoping that we haven't lost all of our photos and such since the last time we backed up the hard drive. (Yikes!) Fortunately, I suppose, I've been uploading most of the best pics to this blog, so at least we've got those... And thankfully, the computer is under warrantee (dern German spellcheck keeping me from being able to find out if I got that one right!) until the end of the year.
E continues to be sick. I fear his bronchitis is on par with mine ~ bronchial spasms along with all the classic symptoms of a head cold, but as his fever has returned (again), he's now on antibiotics, along with nebulizer treatments and nose drops. We've already been to the doctor twice this week and have yet another follow-up appointment Friday morning. Poor guy - he's been sick since Thanksgiving. So since he's bunking in our room while Martha is here, we're blessing H with tandem coughing fits and moans of discomfort throughout the night. (He loves that!)
Thanks, everyone, for the kind Christmas cards and packages (and wedding invitations!!) we've been getting. We of course love the tangible links to all of you whom we love and miss so much. And Amy, so sorry we won't be there when you and Steve exchange vows!! I promise I'll make it out to Oregon someday!!
Merry Christmas to each of you, and many, many hugs from each of us~
No comments:
Post a Comment