Monday, December 17, 2012

Prayers for Newtown

There's no way to not be affected by what's happened in Newtown, CT.  It's devastating.  Those kids are your kids.  Those kids are my kids.  Just like those people who were killed on 9/11 were your people.  And my people.  Or those who are victims of genocide and murder and abuse and violence in any form in all corners of the globe.  We are one people.  We belong to each other.

I believe we are One Body.  When one member doesn't function properly, we all suffer.

We all suffer.

We may be the walking wounded, the embodiment of grief, but we keep moving forward.  We can perhaps begin to grasp that fear only begets fear that only ultimately begets death, spiritual and otherwise.  I pray we're not running away, hiding behind even more guns, more hate, more fear...  Hopefully we're moving toward something life-giving.  Not toward partisan politics.  Not toward The Blame Game.  But forward.  Together.

I know it's irrational, but I'm particularly grateful E has chosen to be uncharacteristically cuddly with me today.  And I was happy when H unexpectedly volunteered to take the girls to school this morning.  We hug a little tighter.  We say even more I love yous.  We take more time to hear what's on their minds.

Perhaps we can all wander across the street and ask our neighbors what's on their minds.  Talk to the produce guy.  The mail carrier.  The receptionist.

We can say a prayer for all those who feel unsafe - emotionally or physically.

We can give thanks for the helpers.  There are lots of those - way more helpers than harmers.

We can learn the lessons in this tragedy that are out there for us to learn.

We can trust that ultimately, good will outweigh bad.  And we can look forward with hope, because tomorrow is a new day, and we're in this together.


2 comments:

  1. Very well said, Reverend Mother. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for Sharing your thoughts.
    C

    ReplyDelete