Hayne made it back safe and sound yesterday morning. He's been asleep for the majority of the time he's been back -- travelling east is so much worse! At any rate, the girls had a big party planned for him: they created a giant banner that is hanging in our main hallway using mosaic letters (we've been learning about mosaics for the last week or so), they drew pictures, cleaned up the house (then promptly destroyed it before H was even able to notice), baked a cake (that didn't rise so I had to make another one Friday night after they went to bed), and helped me make Grandmom's waffles for a fancy welcome home breakfast. The girls were thrilled to see him!
Edison obviously missed him, too, because he has mysteriously morphed back into his happy (albeit juicy) self. The offending tooth is under the gum (I can see the little grey stripe where the tooth will appear) but is refusing to cut through.
More news on the Edison front: he still refuses to take a bottle, but he's getting better at a cup. All babies take a Vitamin D supplement every day here in Germany as a result of the lack of sun exposure. It's a little tablet that you dissolve in a spoon of water. The spoon thing wasn't working (his little arms are strong and quick, and the floor was getting more of his vitamin than he was), so I tried a cup. He loves drinking from the cup ~ he actually gets mad when he's finished. So this morning we introduced rice cereal, figuring he's wanting to eat and drink like a big boy. And now he's zonked out with a full tummy. H got some pics of the first meal that I will post soon.
The girls are now stocked with a pile of Magic Treehouse books, thanks to Grammy, and C is thrilled to have some books that she can help read. She keeps asking to learn how to write words, and gets upset when she realizes she can't quite manage to remember how to form her letters... So reading is right around the corner for her.
Grace is having another round of difficulty - which seems to alternate months. She really misses everyone back home and wants all of her friends to come over to play in 'our playground' in the backyard. She explains that it's easy to get here: just get on a plane that flies all night. Simple.
I've been busy with my new sewing machine. We've got some giant sofa-type cushions that I'm recovering for the daybed in Edison's room. I tried to applique letters on the front (I did an E first), but it didn't turn out very well. I noticed that the backside of the E was much nicer than the front, so that's what I kept. (The pictures will make that make more sense.) The G and C are almost done. Now if only I could get in my room without anyone sleeping in there and without any little helpers...
It's Sunday afternoon - which means it's time for me to bake bread. I love this recipe:
It's SO yummy and easy to make. I'm sure that at some point I'll get bored with it, but I've made it every week since we've moved in, and I still love it. Served with some oil and balsamic vinegar, sprinkled with some fresh ground pepper.... Ooooooohhhhhhh!
One final thought: (FB followers will have already seen this) Nina kept asking me the other day how to do this and how to do that. I finally explained to her that while I know a lot, I don't know everything, and there are some questions I just can't answer. Later in the day she asked if I could teach her how to make lemon merangue pie. And after I told her that it was one of those things I can't teach her about because I don't know how, she quipped, "If Amelia Bedelia were here, she could teach me how to make lemon merangue pie!"
No comments:
Post a Comment