I come from a long line of women who have never expressed a great deal of passion for cooking. My mom was too exhausted after long days at work to be very interested in it (although she makes a mean roast beef and turkey!), and neither of my grandmothers were the cooks in their households… and quite possibly their mothers before them weren’t either. So I come by my aversion to the culinary arts very honestly.
My best effort at cooking in the States usually includes boxes pulled from the freezer and heavy use of a toaster oven. In Germany, I’m more or less forced to get creative.
During our last tour, I attempted a variety of dishes, most of which came out horribly. H was of course a good sport about it and ate nearly everything I put in front of him. (He knows better than to critique my cooking – or else he’ll find himself clad in an apron doing all the work himself – and he’s way too smart to make that move. So he gets husband points for his dutiful ‘thank you’ every night, regardless of the disaster before him.) We ate a LOT of spaghetti Bolognese, stir-fried veggies over rice, and a goulash of sorts with whatever veggies and ground beef was left over in the fridge.
The kids won’t go for a 3 night rotation like Hayne did. And I’ve already used up what little skill I’ve got. And we’ve eaten out 2 of the 6 nights we’ve been here.
But I’m finding it particularly difficult to figure out what we can eat because all the implements I have at my disposal are a small pot, a small non-stick pan, a colander and two eyes on the stove. We have a small microwave, but no microwave-safe containers. So pasta or veggies over rice is about all I’m able to manage at this point.
The anxiety over meal-planning is exacerbated by the cultural mandate to shop every day. With a dorm-sized fridge, it’s not really possible to do a week’s shopping at once. So rather than battle it out once per week at the store, it’s a daily nightmare.
That said, if you have suggestions or ideas, I’m open! Tomorrow is spaetzle (egg noodle) with a pre-made spinach ragout. The next night will likely be scrambled eggs and bretzen (pretzels). After that, we’re back to spaghetti Bolognese…
Any ability to grill? We eat a lot of "hearty salads" -- with the addition of grilled chicken or steak on the top or to the side, makes a very complete meal. If I had/got to shop on a daily basis, I think I would rely heavily on fresh produce and go the veggie route as much as possible. However, I know not all children will be happy with salad for dinner -- hope yours are agreeable eaters!! How about stir fry?
ReplyDeletehttp://foodgawker.com/
ReplyDeleteTrust me! You will love this site! Easy stuff that you can't really mess up! Not sure if you'll have all the ingredients there, but try it! Our new favorite - "Pizza Bites" - Canned pizza dough (they may not sell that over there)cut into squares - put pineapple, canadian bacon, moz cheese, peperoni, etc... in the center and fold the dough over into balls. put a little olive oil into a pyrex - put the balls in the pyrex - they can touch - sprinkle with parm and olive oil - bake until the dough is golden. dip in pizza sauce!
Of course, I've written this and don't remember if you said you had an oven. Only the stove top. In that case... read that foodgawker!!Someone stalks foodblogs and writes about the top recipes.
Marie,
ReplyDeleteHave two thoughts - pork chop casserole, and sauteed chicken w/ rice. Ask your mom about 'em, and let me know. Love you guys.
Dad
I'm developing a new love of cous cous which you just put in a bowl and pour boiling water over. I made it with fish last night. The fish was so thin it took 30 seconds a side. I poured half my beer over it and dumped in a handful of spinach and some frozen peas. It took me exactly 4 minutes to cook supper with two pans (the fish and the cous cous bowl). We are now going to eat this every night this week because its so fast. I don't care who doesn't like it. (Actually, it was DELICIOUS!!! Tonight I'm dumping curry powder and coconut milk in instead of the beer.)
ReplyDeleteWow!! I need to blog this.
ReplyDelete