Thursday, October 20, 2011

6 Unrelated Quick Takes

I figured out why European cars have license plates on the front as well as the back: everyone is bumping into one another as they do their best to parallel park.  The cars are tiny, but they pack themselves in very efficiently, and it is not unusual to witness several bumps during an afternoon walk.  Bumpers don't get damaged by such small accidents, and police have no need to be involved.  Brilliant, really.

I found a Frau.  My second one this trip, actually.  I had one last time we were here: a Polish-born check-out lady at the grocery store who was always friendly, smiled, and did her best to make small talk even though she knew I had no idea what she was saying.  It made the Agony of Going to the Market much more bearable.  Today at a new bakery I asked what some pastry was and I got a whole bunch of German thrown at me.  Then another lady came up and asked where I was from (auf Deutsche, of course) and began a quite pleasant conversation in English about how she had made these cinnamon thingies and how yummy she thought they were.  She gave it to me for free with an invitation to come back again soon.  Very cool.

I stopped at a bookstore today, too.  I was looking for a kids book called something like Irgenwier Anders.  It's about a kid who is different who enters a new school and finds himself on the outside looking in, and having a great deal of trouble making friends.  Eventually another different kid comes as a new student, too, and while they are both different, they are in many ways the same and quickly become friends.  As the story continues, they realize that everyone is different in their own way and everyone lives happily ever after.  It's the book that the 'curriculum' at the kindergarten is based on this year and it was read to us at Parents' Night last week.  It's perfect for G right now with her continued anxiety about fitting in at school.

Now that the temperature here has dropped to the upper 40s during the day, the school has opened up some new play areas.  Most days when I go to pick up the kids, I find C in the room with all the building equipment (Lego-type things and blocks) while G is in the art room working on a masterpiece or two.  Seeing the chaos in their art room makes me feel much better about the chaos in mine.

I busted out the flocking and glitter last night after the girls went to bed.  Cutting, pasting, sprinkling ... So much fun.

We'll be home in less than 4 weeks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment