Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Flip Side

Several of you German folk have asked what our home is like in South Carolina.  (I have yet to take pics of our apartment here for all of you back home... I'd better get on that before the chaos takes over.)

Duncan, SC is a small town right smack between the cities of Greenville and Spartanburg, on the I-85 corridor in the northern part of the state.  Greenville and Spartanburg are both growing toward each other, so I love that I'm in a somewhat rural(ish) town between the cities.  It's only 20-25 minutes to either city center from our house.  Eventually, the two cities will merge, making our location even more ideal.

Our property backs up to a river that feeds a small lake only 500m or so from the house.  (Don't think of a German See when I say lake.  Think large puddle.)  Right where we are, the river gets very wide and has created a marsh/wet-lands in our backyard.  It's beautiful!  Frogs, turtles, blue heron, foxes, beavers, geese, deer ... and the occasional snake or two all wander through our yard regularly.

It's also very quiet there.  There are no neighbors on the opposite side of the river or to the back side of our house. It's very private -- no nosy neighbors can peek in my windows like they do here.  (Poor guy -- I'm not sure that he knows any better.)  And while the interstate (Autobahn) is only 2km or so away, we never hear any of the traffic.

It's a 3 level house, which basically means that I'm running up and down the stairs all the time.  The 3 bedrooms and two full bathrooms (showers, bathtubs, toilets and sinks are in both) are on the top floor.  A kitchen, the garage (obviously), a Wohnenzimmer, a half-bath (only a sink and toilet), laundry hook-ups, and the new screened-in porch are on the main floor.  The basement has a large playroom and a large Kellar.
 The waterfront:
 The house from the waterfront: (that's an outbuilding on the right - similar to a Gartenhaus)
 The side yard opposite the waterfront:
Oddly enough, I can't seem to find the pictures we took for the real-estate agent we hired a while back that show the interior of the house or the newly constructed addition we finished right before we came.  Hmph.  Just follow the blog later this summer, and I'm sure you'll get the gist of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment